This is my primary bike that I do just about everything on, almost every day. It’s a blue Kona Dew-E e-bike that I got in July 2023. I try to record all maintenance and tweaks I make on it in the posts below. I’ve swapped the stock drivetrain (the mechanical part of it, anyway) and contact points. It’s running a Shimano STEPS E6100 motor.
- Switched to small GP1 Evo grips, moved the brake levers around, replaced the front brake pads (at 2901 km), and bled the front brake.
- Replaced the old B+M [my:] E rear light with a seatpost mounted SON DC light.
- Increased saddle height and rotated brake levers downwards.
- Removed Rawland front rack and installed RIP Rack.
- Fixed lateral deviation in rear wheel and installed new derailleur hanger.
- Replaced chain, cassette, shifter, derailleur, and chainring with a Shimano CUES groupset.
- Switched to a waxed chain.
- Installed fenders.
- Removed sezied grease port screw on left pedal and replaced its bearings.
- Replaced bearings in right pedal.
- New bike day!
Refining contact points and doing some routine disc brake maintenance.
Experimenting with some saddle and brake lever adjustments; leash training Gus again; Sarah’s new paracord brake locks; and other miscellania.
My Hardtack gets its Rawland rack back and my daily driver gets a RIP Rack in GSC Rainbow Chrome.
Kat trued a bit of lateral wobble out of my rear wheel and I got a spare derailleur hanger.
Attempting to solve the chain retention and shifting issues on my e-bike with a new drivetrain. Now it’s got a narrow-wide chainring, a clutched rear derailleur, and the extra chainline increases the gap so the chain can’t get stuck.
Alright nerds I did it, I waxed the chain for my e-bike’s new drivetrain.
My beloved Tanglefoot Hardtack is coming back to me! Logging some maintenance records here.
I’ve now put about 2000 km on my e-bike (~1250 miles) and want to write out my thoughts on e-biking compared to regular biking — the good, the bad, why I chose this one, and my political opinions on e-bikes that haven’t changed.
We’re getting into wet season so I begrudingly put fenders on my e-bike. Kona was a bit sly about the tire/fender clearance so I used a heat gun to open up the rear fender clearance a bit. It worked but it looks real bad.
My seized grease port screw was stopping me from replacing the bearings in my left pedal. But it came out with a bolt extractor drill bit!
My chain drops on the inboard side and gets real stuck between the motor and chainring. There’s a bunch of different solutions but none of them are perfect.
Replacing the polymer igus bearings on my pedal!